POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: New car Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New car
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2010 10:54:17
Message: <4b684aa9$1@news.povray.org>
>> On the contrary, it appears that unless you're in 6th gear, you can't
>> exceed about 65 MPH.
>
> Wow.  Are you really saying that at 60mph the RPMs in 5th gear are at
> 6000 or something?  That sounds more like 3rd gear in my car - I can see
> now why you are annoyed!

I didn't actually check the rev count, but in 5th gear, the car seems
very reluctant to go much faster than roughly 65. Which means that if I
want to drive on a motorway, I literally *have* to switch to 6th -
difficult as that is. If it weren't for this, I probably just wouldn't
use 6th at all.

Like I say, in 1st gear, accelerating generally isn't an issue, no
matter how whimpy your car is. It's when you're zooming down a motorway
that there's no acceleration left, so that's where I would have expected
extra gears to be added.

>> BTW, is drag proportional to speed linearly? Or quadratically? Or...?
>
> Roughly speed squared.  But the power needed to overcome a certain force
> is also proportional to the speed.  So in the end the power needed to
> maintain a certain speed is proportional to speed cubed.

I see... That would explain the statistic about the Bugatti Veyron only
needing 100 horsepower to get up to 100 MPH, but needing a further 800
hp to get up to top speed. (Or something like that.)

>> It's news to me that it *is* the other way around. I thought F1 cars
>> had drum brakes. (You'll be surprised to hear that I haven't actually
>> taken too many F1 cars apart.)
>
> You used to be able to see them easily before they started using those
> silly bits of aerodynamic plastic around them.  You can also sometimes
> see the discs glowing bright orange through the wheel under heavy braking.

Ah yes, F1 cars, the ultimate example of engineering in the raggid edge. :-)