POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: New car Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New car
From: scott
Date: 2 Feb 2010 09:09:59
Message: <4b683237@news.povray.org>
> More interesting is the fact that you can't turn the lights off, even when
> the engine isn't running. Sounds like a nice recipe for a flat battery!

Most cars now will switch off any electrical devices after a certain time to
avoid a flat battery.

> I have never seen any car anywhere with 6 gears in my entire life.

What has that got to do with what actually exists and is being made out
there in the real world?

> I still don't really see what the advantage is. (Other than that bigger
> numbers sell more...)

You can keep the engine revs in your desired range (eg for quietness, fuel
economy or performance) for more of the time.  If you only have 4 gears that
span from 5 to 120 mph, then you are going to be forced to use a very wide
range of the engine's rpm, with 6 gears you get more choice of whether to
stay 1000-2000 rpm for quietness, 4000-6000 rpm for performance, etc.

At one extreme you have a car with just one gear, a lot of go-karts are like
this, and it's just like driving a car stuck in 3rd gear.  The acceleration
is rubbish until about 40 mph, then you get a kick of power up to about 80,
then you're on the rev-limiter so can't go any faster.  The other extreme is
trucks, they have like 30 gears, and they need that many because the big
diesel engines typically only produce useful power over a very narrow range
of speeds.

>> Uhh, why?  I have never thought to myself "oh i wish i had a 7th gear to
>> change up into now".
>
> I think that all the time...

What benefit would that give?

> I was under the impression that drum brakes are more efficient.

The problem with drum brakes is that all the heat builds up inside and can't
go anywhere, a drum brake designed for a certain application will be bigger
and heavier than a disc brake capable of dissipating the same amount of
heat.  Anyway, today, only the smallest cars have drum brakes, and even then
only on the rear two wheels where not much braking effort needs to be done.
I think they are cheaper, and help with connecting in the handbrake or
something.

> I already did that. It tells me it's a 2.0 L engine and that the CO2
> emissions are 191 g/Km (I don't know if that's measured or spec'd), and
> the date of manufacture. Doesn't tell me anything extra about the exact
> model. (In fact, you have to tell then the make and model along with the
> registration number.)

Hmm, I thought I recalled it giving more info than that.  Maybe try a couple
of those online insurance quote websites, they quite often take your
registration number and give you the spec.  Or if all else fails simply take
it to a Renault dealer and ask them, they will likely check the serial
number and find it out for you.