POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: New car Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New car
From: scott
Date: 2 Feb 2010 08:25:36
Message: <4b6827d0$1@news.povray.org>
> - The back is ugly, like I said. The front isn't the pretiest thing ever,
> but actually seeing it in daylight, it's not that bad.

And at dusk/night I guess you can't see it because it's dark grey :-)

> - The clutch doesn't enguage until you completely remove your foot from
> the pedal. You can lift the pedal all the way from the floor to almost
> fully released, and you're still not moving. Only in the last 5mm or so of
> travel do you get any power to the wheels.

My car is the opposite, the clutch engages as soon as you lift your foot
even slightly, and then there's only about 5mm until it's fully engaged.
Real fun if I drive a car like yours temporarily (eg a hire car) then go
back to my car, you end up jerking forwards and stalling a lot!

> This means that if I park my car and go shopping, and I happen to walk
> past a shop front that's fairly close to the car park, my car will unlock
> itself and allow anybody who notices and hops in to start the engine and
> drive off.

Mine is similar, but I have to put the "key" into the slot before I can
press the start button.  Are you sure the engine start button works as soon
as the doors are unlocked?  Maybe the key needs to be closer to the car
(like 1 meter) before it will start?

> I still haven't found a way to lock the car yet. Presumably if I walk far
> enough away, it will lock. (But I'll be far away, so I have no way of
> verifying this.)

Yes that seems silly, it would mean my car would never lock as there are
typically only a couple of walls between my keys and my car.  Are there no
buttons on the "key" to force it to lock?

> - Rather than having the normal 4 or the extravagent 5 gears, it has 6.
> I'm not sure why.

It is not normal to have 4 gears - maybe 30 years ago it was.  The last car
I saw with 4 gears cost me 100 pounds 10 years ago, and it was already 10
years old.  Nowadays any car with a half decent engine has 6 gears.

> You'd think they would use this to add more gears to the top of the range;
> but no.

Uhh, why?  I have never thought to myself "oh i wish i had a 7th gear to
change up into now".

> brakes are very sharp. (Presumably it just had new brake shoes or
> something.)

Or maybe because it actually has 4 brake discs with pads and no drums or
shoes :-)

> Overall I'm happy with my car. Just gotta iron out the kinks. (Starting
> with that back window...) Oh, and it would be kind of nice if I could look
> up the spec list for it, but first I'd have to figure out WTF it *is*!

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp

Click "Vehicle Enquiry" on the left and type in your registration number.