POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Loneliness : Re: Loneliness Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Loneliness
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2010 04:29:15
Message: <4b67f06b$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> One of the things I find a lot of geeks do, though, is tend to go into a
> lot of unnecessary detail.
>
> My point is that sometimes it's more effective to say less.

I like to delude myself that this is one of the things I'm good at.

I've seen computer policy documents that are full of technobabble. I've
seen procedure documents that have a list of definitions that looks like
a geek's guide to TCP/IP. It's really not necessary. These aren't
technical documents, they're *policy statements*.

I get the impression that a lot of the people who write these things
can't think abstractly. Like, they're so obsessed with individual
technologies, and even where individual buttons are on a specific piece
of software, that they can't see the big picture of what they're trying
to do. It doesn't *matter* to an auditor if you use RAID1 or RAID5. They
don't give a ****. What they want to know is that you're using RAID, and
what exactly that means. They don't want to know about stripe sets and
mirroring and parity computation hardware. All they need to know is that
you've got multiple drives, and if one breaks the system can continue to
function. That's one sentence. That's all you need to say.

Now that the IT Director is gone, I'm going to make a serious attempt to
get permission to take my disaster recovery plan home with me.
(Obviously, being written as part of my job, my employer owns the IP for
that, so I need written permission to disclose it outside the company.)
I think it's a damn fine piece of writing - and I have the likes of
Roche and Pfizer agreeing with me.