POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday's WTF moment : Re: Friday's WTF moment Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday's WTF moment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Feb 2010 00:29:12
Message: <4b67b828$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:58:56 -0800, DungBeatle wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> First job after college that I had I left with 2 weeks
> notice - though I
>> had the flexibility to offer them as much time as they
> needed since I was
>> the only one doing the job there.  They were fine with the
> 2 weeks, but I
>> never met my replacement.--Jim
>
> I've never met a replacement at any job I've had. No matter how long my
> notice was. Most places I've worked preferred to take the salary savings
> for about 6 months after my leaving. I guess nothing I've done was
> important enough for me to pass the torch.. Or maybe they were just
> worried... :)

I've only done that once myself - and it was the company I was at before
Novell (ie, my last employer); I had been waiting for 6 weeks for a
background check to be finished (working for a company with export
controlled software kinda requires it) and had also been scheduled by my
then-current-employer to visit Microsoft.  I told them to hold off on my
nonrefundable travel, and my project manager (but not my boss) guessed
why.  We started putting a transition plan together, but the guy who took
over for me for the big project I was working on was a member of the
team, so the handoff was pretty smooth.

But I always have tried to make myself available; I can think of one
exception, but I was asked to leave that job (and was glad to just get
the hell out).

Jim