POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using eval_pigment--some questions before starting : Re: using eval_pigment--some questions before starting Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using eval_pigment--some questions before starting
From: Alain
Date: 1 Feb 2010 22:32:43
Message: <4b679cdb$1@news.povray.org>

> OK, my curiosity has finally reached the point where I want to start playing
> around with eval_pigment.  But a few questions first (perhaps naive ones) so
> that I don't end up guessing at the results:
>
> 1) Does it return specifically a COLOR vector (i.e., does POV-ray treat the
> result as such internally, as another pigment); or just a 'generic' vector, with
> no color information implied? (The manner in which it is returned has
> consequences if I want to pull just one component out of the vector later, using
> dot notation--see 3.2.1.5.5 "common color pitfalls" in the docs.)
> 2) How many components are in the returned vector--3 or 5?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken

It should return a 5D vector, or what can be caled a full colour vector:
<red, green, blue, filter, transmit>
You can extract each components with:
.x or .red for the red component
.y or .green
.z or .blue
.t or .filter
.transmit

Internaly, there is little difference between a 3D colour vector, a
location vector, a translation vector and a rotation vector.
<1,2,3>.x will return the same thing as <1,2,3>.red

Alain