POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Silly special effects : Re: Silly special effects Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Silly special effects
From: Captain Jack
Date: 1 Feb 2010 09:08:33
Message: <4b66e061$1@news.povray.org>
"Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4b64f8638fd0c90bcac4259f0@news.povray.org...
> Warning: if you haven't seen Avatar, minor plot details given away:
>
> I was introduced to the existence of the Wilhelm Scream just a few weeks
> ago.
> Then, when watching the movie Avatar, I *thought* I heard it just as one
> of the
> soldiers in a robot-walker is getting crushed by a hammer-head rhinoceros,
> and
> then perhaps again a minute or two later when a different soldier is
> getting
> crushed between two pallets of explosives.    But I haven't been able to
> confirm
> this or find any references!  Can anybody confirm one way or the other?
> Charles

I haven't heard anything definitive about it, but Ben Burtt is the guy who's
been keeping that sound alive. Since he moved over to Pixar, he probably
didn't do any sound design for Avatar, and I'm guessing most other sound
designers wouldn't feel comfortable using it, since it kind of became his
baby.

--
Jack