POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The question continues : Re: The question continues Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The question continues
From: scott
Date: 1 Feb 2010 05:37:10
Message: <4b66aed6$1@news.povray.org>
> *Starting* salary?

Yes!  I just did a search on monster for "graduate software" and nearly
every result had a salary range somewhere between 20 and 30K as a *starting*
salary.  The same is true of "graduate engineer".  Heck, two of my best
friends from University (both did computer science) got a job with this
company writing software for internet routers and their starting salary was
30K.  My starting salary was closer to 20K than 30K, but that was 7 years
ago, I know now they are offering new graduates closer to 30K.

According to prospects.ac.uk the average graduate starting salary ranges
from 20 to 25k depending on who you ask.  I would imagine that having a
computer science degree would put you above the average.

>> For someone with a degree and 5 years relevant experience
>
> [7 years]
>
>> I'd say 30k was easily achievable and you wouldn't be expected to be in
>> charge of anyone.
>
> Really? I find that quite surprising.

How come? Even if you started on 20K, a 50% pay increase over 7 years is not
surprising.

> Hell, my sister is an accountant and she doesn't earn nearly that much.

If she is working for a reputable accountancy firm, has done the
qualifications and has more than 7 years experience (IIRC she is older than
you?) then that seems pretty poor pay to me.

> Hmm, thinking about it... I vaguely "know" our CEO. He must surely be on a
> bit more than 50K.

Probably a big "bit" more.

> I "know" our Director of IT [who no longer works here as of Friday], and
> he probably earns a tad more than 50K too.

You'd think so.

> I guess most managers just don't make a habit of telling everybody how
> much more money they earn than you do...

You can easily estimate it though, by looking at similar jobs at other
companies, how your internal pay structure works etc.  For example I know
that my manager must be earning more than a "lead engineer", which must be
earning more than I do.  I know roughly what % increase you get for
promotion, so my manager must be on about 60-70K.  I can also then guess
that the director of my department is on about 80-90K, and the MD probably
110-130K.  This ties in well with job adverts I've seen for similar
positions in other companies, and from talking with other people.