POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unicode : Re: Unicode Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unicode
From: scott
Date: 1 Feb 2010 02:38:03
Message: <4b6684db$1@news.povray.org>
> OK, so here's a question: How do you actually type in Unicode characters
> that aren't on your keyboard?

Hold down left alt and press some numbers on the keypad.  THe only one I can
remember is the one for the plus/minus symbol (Alt+0177) as I use it a lot
and it's not on my keyboard.

> It's nice that Unicode exists, and a tiny fraction of software in
> existence even supports it,

Funny I found that most software does support it, otherwise I would be
continually screwed in my job not being able to open documents or understand
email from Japanese people.  Here (Vista Business 64bit) I can even create a
file/folder in explorer with Japanese characters, then zip it with WinZip
and everything works fine.

> and approximately 3 fonts in the world have the appropriate glyphs in
> them.

I know when I get Japanese documents, they normally use a special font like
"MS Mincho", I suspect it would be a bit of a wasted effort to make every
font contain every single unicode character.  There also seems to be fonts
like "Arial Unicode MS" that maybe contain all (most?) of them (it at least
contains all the Japanese characters).