POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Somewhat disappointing : Re: Somewhat disappointing Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somewhat disappointing
From: Warp
Date: 31 Jan 2010 14:08:10
Message: <4b65d51a@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Still, at least this isn't Windows - you don't have to reboot. Oh, wait,
> >> yes you do apparently. At least, you don't *have* to, they just tell you
> >> that some updates won't completely take effect until you do.
> >
> >   Linux doesn't support switching kernels on-the-fly. Not many OSes do.

> Yes it does, search for "kexec".

  As far as I understand, kexec does not allow switching kernels on the fly.
It's simply a mechanism for rebooting (an already running system) faster by
bypassing most of the tasks done during a regular boot (ie. detecting and
configuring devices). I don't think it allows for programs to keep running
through the reboot. (In other words, there's still a downtime of the system
involved. It's just significantly shorter than with a normal reboot.)

--
                                                          - Warp