POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering ran out of memory : Re: Rendering ran out of memory Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:39:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering ran out of memory
From: Alain
Date: 30 Jan 2010 19:51:36
Message: <4b64d418@news.povray.org>

>> I reran the file
>> for x < 50
>> y < 50
>>
>> the file creates 900000 cylinders
>>
>> parse time 42 minutes
>> render time 7 minutes
>>
>> anything larger, will of course take more time.
>> And it is impossible to run for x < 180 and y < 180 without more memory.
>>
>> Unfortunately , I can't upload an attachment.
>
> Ah, it's just too many objects then.
>
> I think POV will run on Amazon, but I've never used it
> personally to know the ins and outs.
> http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
>
> You could redesign the scene to use less memory...
> make a few dozen copies of your object, then place
> them randomly rotated...

The first place to look: remove the texture from the individual objects,
put them in an union, and apply the texture to the union.
You only use textures for the components IF AND ONLY IF it's texture is
different than that of the majority of the components.

The more numerous component are probably the petals, so, you give the
petals texture to the union.

At 50x50, you get 900 000 cylinders.
180 is 3.6 times 50.
At 180x180, you get 900 000 * 3.6 * 3.6 = 900 000 * 12.96 = 11 664 000
11 millions, 664 thousand cylinders!
Each cylinder uses 2 end coordinates, one radius, a transform matrix
and, if individualy textured, a texture.
The texture can easily be the part that uses the most memory.

Alain