POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism : Re: Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad journalism
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 30 Jan 2010 10:36:48
Message: <4b645210$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/29/10 21:04, Tim Attwood wrote:
> IMO, firemen should be able to read.

	That's a sweeping statement. No one said they couldn't read.

> The courts seem to think that testing for any "skill cluster" that isn't
> strictly part of the job (as defined by the courts) is racist.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/nyregion/24firefighters.html?ref=nyregion

	Yes, in a sense that's what they ruled. It's racist if that unnecessary
skill cluster showed a discrimination.

	I can see it either way. On one level, it could have been a "harmless
accident" (who's supposed to guess that something like reading
comprehension would become such a big issue?). On the other hand, I can
also see it as "We know these guys suck at reading comprehension. Let's
make it a big part of the test, and set the time constraints in a manner
such that they're much more likely to fail."

--
When I was young, they told me anyone could become president. Now I'm
beginning to believe it.