POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism : Re: Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad journalism
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jan 2010 19:45:46
Message: <4b63813a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I think your comparison is not very relevant. You are basically comparing
> the cultural backgrounds of person who have grown in a western civilization
> to that of a bushman who has grown in the jungle.

Yes. I was just describing an example I read of how something that might
*seem* to be a purely mathematical and culture-free question might actually
assume some culture after all.

> or heck, that you can *see*).

I wouldn't call blindness a cultural problem. ;-)

> name of the 50th state.

Heck, I was in Alaska, in a restaurant with Alaska paraphenalia plastered
all over the walls, including a newspaper page with the headline "Alaska
admitted to the Union!" and I asked the waitress whether Alaska was #49 or
#50, and she didn't know. :-)

>   As I have been saying, the solution to that problem isn't dumbing down
> aptitude tests. That's one of the worst possible solutions.

I agree with most of what you say, yes.  Making it easier for losers to
accomplish should be done by making losers into winners, not by rewarding
loserness.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do