POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism : Re: Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad journalism
From: Warp
Date: 29 Jan 2010 17:23:20
Message: <4b635fd8@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> It is not the skin tome, it is the cultural background. (almost) all IQ
> test favour white Europeans, because they refer in subtle ways to things
> that appear to be common knowledge by the people who design these tests.
> They also put an emphasis on things that we as Europeans (or is
> Caucasian the term mostly used in the US?) find important. Sometimes
> that is valid and sometimes it is not.

  I don't think that's true. Maybe it was true 50 years ago, but nowadays
IQ tests are specifically designed to be detached of all cultural backgrounds.

  Education can have some effect on IQ tests (because education can eg.
train a person to think geometrically), but AFAIK in the US and especially
Europe all people have had the exact same education for quite many decades.

  If some group of people doesn't *want* to get educated, that's a different
problem. It's *their* problem, not the problem in IQ or aptitude tests.

> So, I know that even a test on digital technology can have a cultural
> bias. Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if a test for fireman would
> also. You would have to see the actual test to see if that bias is
> justified or not.

  I have hard time thinking of a question in a fireman test which a white
citizen of the US is able to answer due to his culture but a black citizen
of the US isn't, especially if both have gone to the same schools.

--
                                                          - Warp