POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism : Re: Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad journalism
From: somebody
Date: 29 Jan 2010 15:37:51
Message: <4b63471f$1@news.povray.org>
"Neeum Zawan" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/nyregion/14fire.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1264791670-GxVD+sfKjvw04Ji/zop/fQ

> It fails to explain how exactly the test discriminated. I looked at
> some other articles, and none gives any detail whatsoever.

The test "discriminated" because African-Americans (and possibly Hispanics)
scored lower than their White peers. And since requiring applicants to be
somewhat educated is such a repugnant idea, the obvious solution is of
course to dumb down job requirements while sweeping the root cause of the
problem, which would take actual work and money to fix, under the rug. It's
always better to have semi illiterate constituents who you make to believe
that you are doing them a favour than literate ones who don't need favours
from you to stand on their own feet.