POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : bounding turbulence : Re: bounding turbulence Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bounding turbulence
From: Slime
Date: 29 Jan 2010 00:50:25
Message: <4b627721$1@news.povray.org>
>  That's a good start. Now what if you changed lambda, omega and octaves?
> I had hope some one who say 'Oh Yes the formula is such and such'.
> But I guess I'll just do some experiments to find rule of thumb formulas.

I think the basic idea is that the sample point is moved by the value of the
turbulence up to 'octaves' times. Each time the distance is multiplied by
'omega'. 'Lambda' only controls the randomness of the direction each time,
so it doesn't affect the maximum possible distance a sample point can move
(although it can affect the average distance).

For example, for a turbulence of 1, with omega .5 and octaves 3, the maximum
possible distance a point in the pattern can move should be 1 + .5 + .25 =
1.75 units.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]