POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free will : Re: Free will Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free will
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jan 2010 23:59:28
Message: <4b626b30@news.povray.org>
On 1/27/2010 11:51 PM, Darren New wrote:
> So yeah, I'd say the gut feeling is known, but not the details of why
> you are having that gut feeling. Clearly there is processing that
> happens in the nervous system that isn't reflected directly in the part
> of the brain modeling itself.

Some studies seem to imply that even the stuff we "think" we know the
cause of are post hoc, of course. That, in effect, we don't know the
details of *any* choice, just our justifications for making them, after
the fact. Those justification may be completely rational, in that they
reflect what can be testably shown to reflect actual events in the
world, or they can be completely irrational, in cases like mental
illness. For the person experiencing them, hitting someone with a bat,
because they *see* them attacking them for real is **identical** to the
mentally unstable person hitting a vending machine with one, because
they **imagine** that its about to attack them. The mechanism generating
the excuse is operating fine, more or less, its the underlying processes
that are **supposed** to identify threats, correctly determine what is
going on, and filter out pure nonsense, which fail.

Or, to put it another way, we might, in a bit of day dreaming, think,
"What if vending machines could attack people?" We know this is absurd,
we know it doesn't happen, and we know its not happening to us
specifically, but, if all the layers that *know* those things don't
manage to place proper markers on the thought process, or filter it into
the, "I am just thinking about this, not experiencing it", category...
But, we are only aware of *how* a thought arises *because* these filters
work in the first place, since our awareness is built from the data
provided by them. If the data is wrong, the experience is wrong.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {