POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
8 Oct 2024 16:05:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Jan 2010 22:35:01
Message: <4b625765$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:36:32 +0100, andrel wrote:

> On 28-1-2010 1:29, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Once a month I meet with our local police liaison officer (in fact, I
>> meet with him tomorrow night)

So I had a really interesting discussion with our liaison officer
tonight; he's a detective who has worked several different parts of the
department, and has friends in law enforcement agencies around the
world.  Very interesting and enlightening discussion - and he announced
at the meeting that the SLC Police Department was offering some "citizen
academy" classes that I think I'm going to try to go to - the idea is to
help the public understand what the job actually entails.

Though I won't be able to attend the first class since I'm going to be
out of town; but it's 7 weeks long (I assume one evening a week) and
should be interesting.

I asked him about the use of deception, and what he told me was that they
are allowed to use it, but they usually don't have to.  His experience
(both personal and anecdotal from talking to others around the country)
is that usually you have enough evidence or you don't - and if you don't,
it's clear they're not going to get more by running a long interrogation,
which is usually what would lead to that kind of deception.

With regards to entrapment, he said it's pretty straightforward:  If an
officer (identified or not) entices someone to commit a crime they would
not be predisposed to commit and they do it anyways, then it's
entrapment.  If they entice someone to commit a crime (again, identified
or not) and they are predisposed to commit it (ie, have some sort of
history that shows they would be likely to do it), then it's not
entrapment.

So, thinking about this (on my own), I guess if someone were to say they
were going to do something illegal (say as part of being argumentative
with a cop) to a cop, and the cop said "go ahead if you think that's a
good idea" - that's not entrapment.  The cop wouldn't be giving them
permission to do so, wouldn't be promising they would look the other way,
or anything like that.  Wouldn't matter if the cop identified himself as
a cop or not.

But, what my contact told me would be likely if law enforcement used
deception in some way is that if it went to court, the cop's deception
would likely be brought up.  And on the stand, the cop would most likely
say "yes, that is exactly what I said" - the truthfulness of the
statement to the defendant would be irrelevant to the crime.  The
prosecution would have to demonstrate the predisposition of the defendant
to commit the crime (which would happen certainly if the defense were to
claim entrapment) and the defense would have to provide evidence that the
defendant was not predisposed to commit the crime.

It was a very interesting discussion. :-)

Jim