POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Jan 2010 19:39:20
Message: <4b622e38$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:36:32 +0100, andrel wrote:

> On 28-1-2010 1:29, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Once a month I meet with our local police liason officer (in fact, I
>> meet with him tomorrow night) as part of our local community
>> organization.  He often will tell stories after the meeting to those
>> who are sticking around about the dumb things people confess to.
>
> That is why a confession is not enough to convict here. That has to be
> backed up with independent evidence. Sure that rule is sometimes not
> followed, but that can lead to later complications for the police or the
> judge. How often it gets uncaught I don't know for obvious reasons.

That makes sense to me - and I think here in the US, if a defense
attorney introduces reasonable doubt in spite of a confession, a
conviction could be avoided, too.  For example, if a suspect confesses to
something they didn't do, and the defense introduces a witness who gives
undeniable evidence that the person couldn't have committed the crime,
that would weigh pretty heavily for the jury.

And ISTR that a judge can overturn or set aside a jury's verdict if the
judge determines that the jury convicted wrongly - though I don't think
the judge can set aside a "not guilty" verdict.

Jim