POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Working it out : Re: Working it out Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Working it out
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Jan 2010 16:55:18
Message: <4b6207c6$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:26:43 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Nah, I still don't think I'd like that. Managers are supposed to order
> people around, not do the actual technical work. (Not that all managers
> seem to realise this...)

Well, yes and no.  I do some management tasks (though I don't have anyone
who directly reports to me - I just noticed a few days ago that my
official job title in our HR system is "Project/Program Manager III" -
which floors me because I never really felt I had good project management
skills (but my public title is "Program Manager" so that fits), but my
boss and director both said they thought I had great project management
skills.

But from the standpoint of "order people around" vs "do the actual
technical work", I do a bit of both; I see my role as being the one with
the vision, but then collaborating with developers and technical people
to come up with a solution we all can live with.

But I also realised earlier this week that I've now spent half my life
working with Novell's products.  That was a shocker, because it's 20
years now.

Jim