POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free will : Re: Free will Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free will
From: somebody
Date: 28 Jan 2010 05:06:02
Message: <4b61618a$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b606472@news.povray.org...
> somebody wrote:

> >> Yeah, but not when it's "pick a random number from 1 to 2."  This isn't
> >> really what most people would call a "decision."

> > Why? That's the least of human faculties.

> Because there's no external information on which you could base your
> analysis.

Yes, if there's no outside information, there's no analysis to speak of
(although I am skeptical about truly achieving the premise, even in a
sensory deprivation tank or somesuch setup). Given no (outside) information,
we are simply talking about a RNG, or rather a PRNG as a state machine whose
final outcome third parties can predict before it is reached. IOW, this
experiment shows that humans have a lousy PRNG, which we already kind of
knew. I fail to see how it relates to free will one way or the other.