POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free will : Re: Free will Server Time
8 Oct 2024 13:50:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free will
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jan 2010 01:51:28
Message: <4b6133f0$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> As an individual, yes, knowing I am hungry or cold or in pain is simple.
> As a scientist, understanding that separation of the first nerve impulse
> and when it transforms into knowing, is interesting.

All agreed, yes. That's why I said one has to be careful how to define free
will before arguing about whether it exists or not.

> That is why I use know in quotes. There is a point where the stimulus
> crosses from sub-conscious to conscious, if that is where you want to
> define "knowing"[1].

Well, specifically, knowing you've made a particular choice. Clearly it's
possible to react to things before you consciously know it. I just thought
this was an interesting experiment in that I can know what your choice is
far enough before you do that I can thwart your choice (say, by grabbing
from your hand the button you were about to push).

I think an experiment where the person monitoring tells the person deciding
what his decision is before he's aware of it could be very interesting. Will
the person pick a different button? Will the person claim they weren't
planning to pick either button yet? How late can you tell the person before
they can no longer help but push the button they were thinking of?

> should we discount them all as unknown until the entire thought gets to
> the conscious level?

I think that knowing something at the gut level is generally colloquially
considered not knowing it. You can hear people say "I knew something was
wrong but I didn't know what" if they see an odd situation and (say) cross
the street to avoid getting attacked. In this case, they really don't know
*why* they crossed the street - they just know their brain noticed something
that didn't perk all the way up to the self awareness, but rather manifested
in the self-awareness as something unusual and fearful, say.

So yeah, I'd say the gut feeling is known, but not the details of why you
are having that gut feeling. Clearly there is processing that happens in the
nervous system that isn't reflected directly in the part of the brain
modeling itself.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do