POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 27 Jan 2010 22:46:26
Message: <4b610892$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/27/10 16:29, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Here's the thing.  In some parts of the US, there is a problem with drug
> trafficking.  There's a stretch of I-80, for example, between Omaha and
> Nebraska where the cops wait for cars with out of state license plates.

	How can you be between Omaha and Nebraska?

> I consent to let them search the car.  They find the coat; I match the
> suspect's description, drive a car that vaguely matches the description
> of the car leaving the scene - now I'm a suspect in a double homicide.
> Just for drifting out of my lane.

	I would think that your matching the description, as well as your car,
would be sufficient enough reason to stop, but am not sure.

> That's why US citizens who are smart will not answer any questions -
> because even if the cop says they're investigating an accident and think
> you might've been in the area, you don't know for certain if in fact that
> is what it is.

	Refusing to allow them to search your car is usually within your right.
However, it can lead to an inconvenience. I remember years ago
reading/being told that if you refuse, they have the right to hold you
there until sniffing dogs come and sniff. The following seems to concur:

http://flexyourrights.org/supreme_court/illinois_v_caballes

	Although it implies a limit to how long you have to wait.

	I should add that the site actually encourages you to decline a search.

> Similar situation - you get pulled over for speeding.  First question any
> cop will ask you is "do you know how fast you were going?" - most people
> want to be honest, at least to some degree, so they'll say "Maybe 68-70
> MPH" - if it's a 65 zone, congratulations, you've just confessed to
> speeding.  You get a ticket, and if you go to court to challenge, the
> cop's notes will reflect that you said you were going 68-70.  When you
> pull away after being pulled over, the cop gets back in his car and sits
> there.  He's writing down everything from the conversation in case you
> decide to challenge the ticket.

	I think that's quite fair - I don't see a problem in that.

--
He's got a magnet!!!  Everybody BACKUP!!!!!!!!