POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 27 Jan 2010 18:27:49
Message: <4b60cbf5@news.povray.org>
On 01/27/10 14:34, andrel wrote:
> One of the reasons some policeman here hate it when during an
> investigation they meet US citizens. They will often start acting as if
> this is the US. Saying nothing and demanding to see a lawyer when they
> just want to ask you something is not really helping the police here.

	Little known fact (little known to Americans, even): In the US, when
you're questioned (but not detained/charged), you're not entitled to
having a lawyer present. You're entitled to refuse to answer, though.

	At least that's the case with federal groups (FBI, etc) - may be
different in some states for the local law enforcement.

	(I know this because I once *needed* to know this).

> BTW Did someone answer Warp's question already: can cops be prosecuted
> for 'entrapment'? (at least I think he wanted to know that)

	I doubt it over here. Cases can be thrown out, but in the US, there's
no solid definition of entrapment. Perhaps he could be sued, though, and
the department may choose to discipline (although I think that's unlikely).

> Well, lying an torture are not part of the tools of a Dutch policeman,
> they often seen to be able to do their job regardless.

	You're making it too black and white. Yes, Jim mentioned lying, but
there are plenty of ways to trick you into saying stuff without actually
misleading/lying. It's a fine line where you go from acceptable to
unacceptable.

	Furthermore, there are elements at stake that the police can exploit
without even realizing it - and only recent research has shown those
biases (e.g. issues in lineups and identification in general).

--
"Graphic Artist seeks Boss with vision impairment."