POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 27 Jan 2010 18:20:57
Message: <4b60ca59$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/27/10 13:11, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>   You only consider two cases: Either the cop identifies himself *and*
>> incites someone to commit a crime, or neither.
>>
>>   That was not the question. The question was if a cop incites someone
>> to commit a crime but does not identify himself as a police officer.
>
> If the person is given no choice in committing the crime, then it's
> entrapment.  If the cop says to the second party "kill that guy or I kill
> you" and then arrests the second party, that's entrapment.  If the second
> party has a reasonable chance of declining to participate, then it's not.

	I think that still isn't covering all the angles Warp is talking about.
What if it's an undercover cop who convinces (but doesn't coerce)
someone to commit a crime?

	I'd call that entrapment, as well. The usual criterion is "Would the
person have been predisposed to commit the crime had the cops not
approached him about it?"

--
"Graphic Artist seeks Boss with vision impairment."