POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Somewhat disappointing : Re: Somewhat disappointing Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somewhat disappointing
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 27 Jan 2010 16:09:33
Message: <4b60ab8d$1@news.povray.org>
Am Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:25:59 -0800 schrieb Darren New:

> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> ...which is interesting, given that SUSE is a Novell product. (Although
>> we are talking about OpenSUSE here, so maybe that doesn't count?)
>
> I wasn't talking specifically about one package or another. Just in
> general.
>
>> ...OK...but isn't this [part of] what package managers are supposed to
>> manage?
>
> Tell me how a Linux package manager is going to tell you whether anyone
> is currently running a program that needs some DLL it's going to
> replace.

If it is done correctly, it knows which programs depend on the "DLL" and
is going to update this programs as well, then - if they are running - it
will ask the user to restart this programs. At least Ubuntu asks me about
restarting the program. (Also, if I run an executable it seems "locked",
at least it refuses to overwrite it - which sounds to me the same as what
you described, what windows is doing, or do you mean something else?)