POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free will : Re: Free will Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free will
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 27 Jan 2010 13:52:40
Message: <4b608b78$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> somebody wrote:
>> Depends on what you mean by "know",
>
> Being aware that you have made a decision is "know" here.

Still undefined, because you are basing the meaning of "know" on self
observation of the conscious mind. Without a solid definition of self,
and an understanding of the separation of conscious and unconscious,
there is no meaning to "know".

I "know" that my cat will chase a piece of string across the floor if it
moves, does that mean I have recognized his decision before he has made it?

>> but it's pretty common to predict other
>> people's decisions and reactions.
>
> Yeah, but not when it's "pick a random number from 1 to 2."  This isn't
> really what most people would call a "decision."

Actually, that would be a fairly easy prediction if you know the person.
 Introverts are more likely to pick 1, extroverts would be more likely
to pick 2. You could easily get above 50%, maybe as high as 75% with
people you know well. With a few leading questions to set it up, you
could get even higher.