POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2010 19:13:34
Message: <4b5f852e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Wouldn't that mean that the police can lure anybody to do a crime with
> impunity as long as they don't identify themselves as the police?

Pretty much, yes. It's not so much identifying themselves as a cop as much
as it is saying "because I'm a cop, I'm using the powers vested in my
authority to permit you to do something you would not be allowed to do
without my permission."

If there's a cop in the intersection, he can wave me through the intersection.

A cop is allowed to bring illegal drugs into a classroom to show students
what they look like, or to bring a gun into a classroom to teach firearm
safety.  Cops get to do things like that here that average citizens don't.

If a cop says "Look, all the prostitutes know who I am. Take this $50, drive
over there to ask her for a trick, and if she agrees, I'll arrest her," and
then he arrests *you* for doing it, that's entrapment.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do