POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : alpha channel (+ua) makes media invisible? : Re: alpha channel (+ua) makes media invisible? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:56:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha channel (+ua) makes media invisible?
From: Alain
Date: 26 Jan 2010 16:32:48
Message: <4b5f5f80$1@news.povray.org>

>> Warp<war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>> That's also the reason why emissive media is invisible against a white
>>> background. Emissive media only adds to the passing rays, and adding
>>> something
>>> to white results in white (after color clamping).
>>
>> I wonder if it makes a difference when outputting to HDRI. (After all,
>> HDRI pixels are non-clamped.)
>>

> I think that it will show in that case. Have to try it.
>

> Alain

It does show, after you reduce the exposure, in programms made to handle
high dynamic range.

Minimal sample scene (render with +fh on the command line):
plane{-z,-10 pigment{checker rgb 1 rgb 0.1} finish{ambient 1}}

sphere{5*z,1.5 pigment{rgbt 1}
	interior{media{emission rgb x}}
	hollow}

It will also show on the surrounding objects whenever you use radiosity.

Alain