POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : District 9 (minor spoilers) : Re: District 9 (minor spoilers) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: District 9 (minor spoilers)
From: Warp
Date: 26 Jan 2010 10:38:30
Message: <4b5f0c76@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> With the rather clueless 'bad guy' (hero?) finally changing sides. (Although, I
> came away feeling that this character really *didn't* change his overall racist
> philosophy--circumstances just made it necessary.)

  Rather unusual of a protagonist for this type of story, indeed. In Avatar
we had a trained marine, in The Last Samurai we had a trained soldier, in
Dances with Wolves we had an army lieutenant (hmm, is there a pattern here?),
in Pocahontas we had an experienced ship captain. The common feature of all
these is that they are field-trained, experienced and brave.

  In District 9, however, we had a bureaucratic office worker who is smug,
self-centered and coward, who has lived a nice quiet life and who has no
experience or training, who gets a shot at leading an eviction project and
who gets all high and mighty about it. Overall a rather dislikeable character.
But in a quite realistic way, rather than an exaggerated one. While he does
end up doing audacious things by the end, it still feels like it's not like
he has magically made a 180-degree turn and suddenly got rid of his past,
but more like it being a result of the extreme stress he is under.

--
                                                          - Warp