POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Somewhat disappointing : Re: Somewhat disappointing Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somewhat disappointing
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2010 06:31:29
Message: <4b5ed291$1@news.povray.org>
Heh, and I almost forgot:

I got OpenSUSE to install (default KDE install). The desktop looks
pretty far-out now, but maybe I can get used to it. Anyway, I asked it
to do an online update. It started updating... I guess... but all I
could see on the screen was *literally* an empty rectangle with a square
bouncing back and forth along it. No actual progress indication, just a
bouncing square to let me know it's still doing... something.

Uh, WTF? What's useless! o_O

I found a button that says "show detailed information", but it didn't
seem to make any difference at all. Great.

Interestingly, I set up another VM with GNOME, and here doing an online
update ACTUALLY TELLS YOU what's happening. Which is just as well,
because it takes about 45 minutes to finish updating.

Still, at least this isn't Windows - you don't have to reboot. Oh, wait,
yes you do apparently. At least, you don't *have* to, they just tell you
that some updates won't completely take effect until you do.

[In fairness, I think one of the updates that went past was a kernel
update. Services and applications can be restarted, but the kernel
really, really can't.]