POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am now a member... : Re: I am now a member... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I am now a member...
From: scott
Date: 25 Jan 2010 02:56:55
Message: <4b5d4ec7$1@news.povray.org>
> That sounds more like a licensing organization. In the US, they have
> that - but it doesn't fall under the IEEE - and each state does its own
> licensing. And very few electrical engineering jobs require a license.

We have licensing too, but it's usually for technician-type jobs like wiring
houses and installing gas appliances, this has nothing to do with
Engineering or designing things though.  For that we have Chartered
Engineer, which is awarded by becoming a "full member" of an institution
like the IEEE, IMechE etc.  Some safety-critical jobs (like designing
bridges or buildings) absolutely require it (maybe there is even some legal
issues, IDK), other less safety-critical industries just look on it as a
demonstration that you are serious about your Engineering career.  I have
yet to see any senior person in the Engineering department of a large
company that isn't a chartered engineer.