POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Time to upgrade : Re: Time to upgrade Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time to upgrade
From: Jim Charter
Date: 25 Jan 2010 01:57:15
Message: <4b5d40cb@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:

> On a side note.  My 3200+ had been running at 60C when idle.  It was
> approaching 70 under load.  I knew that was hotter than it used to be, and
> it had been getting warmer and warmer over the years.  I figured the
> heatsink was clogged, but I just kept turning up my fan speed.  Last
> weekend, I finally decided to clean it out.  It's now running at 45 C idle,
> with the fan turned all the way down.  I felt both happy and stupid at the
> same time, because it was so easy to do.  I had forgotten that it would run
> with a temp that low.

Yeah, but that wasn't it with mine.  I cleaned that sucker routinely.
Even played with attaching rolled tubes of paper to the dust-buster and
had a special hogs hair bush that I kept by the computer for the
purpose.  (A Manhattan tenement apartment is a fairly dusty place)  I
routinely ran the thing with the case open and a 21" room fan pointed
directly into it.  Now the room fan sits, purposeless, in the corner of
the room.