POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Time to upgrade : Re: Time to upgrade Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time to upgrade
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 24 Jan 2010 10:32:55
Message: <4b5c6827@news.povray.org>
"Eero Ahonen" <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote in message
> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
>>
>> (I'll use my current DVD drive)
>>

> Just a reminder: your current drive most probably is an IDE-drive. You
> should check that the mobo you'll buy has IDE-bus available or upgrade
> the drive to SATA. New drive costs something like 20?, but the waiting
> for the last part is annoying (especially for something that cheap).

Yeah, I've been out of the loop so long that I didn't even realize that IDE
was gone from many of the newer mobos.  Maybe I'll buy a new DVD drive, if
the mobo that I like doesn't have IDE.

> In my experience, Gigabyte is the mobo to go. I've already bought my
> last (at least for some years) Asus (they seem to fail APIC), MSI
> (attached a very sticky label to processor socket), Abit (fail, fail,
> fail and eventually broke down) and even Intel (needed to patch the BIOS
> to make the thing boot other than with extreme luck in the first place,
> still staying a slightly unstable booter) - currently running 2
> Gigabytes (both with AMD processors) without a single problem. I know
> that's a small amount of pieces of electronics, but the first impression
> is always the one that counts most.

I have a Gigabyte in my current system.  I've probably owned around 3 or 4
of their mobos.  The only problem I've ever had is with the LAN.
Eventually, the LAN ports quit working.  Not a big deal, though, and perhaps
it was caused by an electrical storm.

One of the current manufacturers that I've got my eye on is EVGA.  They seem
to produce quality electronics, at least from reading the reviews.  Asus
used to be the cadillac of mobo's, but (like Seagate) they may be going
downhill now.