POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Time to upgrade : Re: Time to upgrade Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time to upgrade
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 24 Jan 2010 04:51:57
Message: <4b5c183d@news.povray.org>
Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:

> Shortly after I won the IRTC (and subsequently never entered again [why?])
> in 2003, I decided I needed a faster computer with which to
> render/game/whatever.  I bought an AMD Athlon 3200+.  This is still my
> computer, although I've upgraded the RAM (1.5GB) and HD.  7 years is getting
> pretty ancient, but it still works pretty well for anything that's not too
> demanding.

I'm currently sitting here with my dual-core 4200+. It's a socket 939
motherboard though, so...

> A month ago, I knew almost nothing about the state of affairs regarding the
> new crop of processors and such, but now I've familiarized myself quite a
> bit with what is out there.

I always find this to be quite difficult. Places like Tom's Hardware
will tell you the very latest up-to-the-minute news, but what if you
haven't really been paying attention for the last 3 years? How do you
get back up to speed?

> Bang for the buck, this would probably be the
> best system I could build, especially if overclocked:
>
> Intel Core i7-860 (2.8GHz, very overclockable)
> A case and PSU (600W - 700W)
> 1156, P55 chipset mobo (haven't decided which brand/model)
> Western Digital 1TB hard drive.
> 4GB RAM
> Windows 7 Home
> Nvidia G-Force GTS 250 video card
> (I'll use my current DVD drive)

My bill will be cheaper. I'm going to keep my graphics card, PSU, case
and HDs. I just need a new motherboard, processor and RAM...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/