POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sheared supertori : Re: Sheared supertori Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sheared supertori
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 24 Jan 2010 00:24:15
Message: <4b5bd97f@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>>
>> Jim's question in povray.advanced-users about usage of the Shear_Trans
>> macro
>> made me play around with shearing of different shapes.
>>
>> This image shows some supertorus isosurfaces sheared in different
>> directions.

> Beautiful effect, makes me think, a little, of soapstone carving.  The

Yes, that effect is from some textures and light settings that Gilles Tran
once made. I like to play around with it.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C398DAC6E.810C4E7%40inapg.inra.fr%3E/
Newsgroup: povray.binaries.images
Date: 6th August 2000
Subject: Radiosity test (60kbu)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C398EE60E.DCFE0C7E%40inapg.inra.fr%3E/
Newsgroup: povray.binaries.images
Date: 7th August 2000
Subject: Radiosity test #2 70 kbu

> The
> method gives an interesting insight also. Applying the shearing macro to
> an iso-surface is something I would not have expected.  Being a mere
> mortal with maths, I would have guessed, rather, that you'd done the
> shearing with the iso-surface function somehow.

I've made some code for doing the shearing of these shapes within the
functions for the isosurfaces, but it's a lot more work. If I finish it,
then I'll post that code too.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com