POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:59:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Chris Cason
Date: 23 Jan 2010 21:55:48
Message: <4b5bb6b4$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/01/2010 5:19 AM, Warp wrote:
>   There is something POV-Ray can do: Ask the user what to do. ("Because of
> <reason xyz> POV-Ray will be installed in <the My Documents folder>.
> Yes/No/Cancel.")

After 15 years of working on POV-Ray, I have learnt one thing in
particular: 99% of users don't read what the installer says, but will just
click through on everything. Some will then complain when it does something
they don't expect.

Example: the installer used to ask if it should register POV-Ray as the
application to open .INI files. This question was clear and required a
yes/no answer. I still got people complaining that POV had 'stolen' the
association for INI files and that this 'was really rude' (or words to that
effect). So, I took that feature out and no longer associate INI files.

To put it simply, the installer has to be written in such a way as to cater
to the vast majority of users *without* causing us support hassles. This
means I have to apply KISS to the design.

-- Chris