POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:09:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Jan 2010 13:40:33
Message: <4b5b42a1$1@news.povray.org>
On 23.01.10 19:19, Warp wrote:
>> You realize that under Vista the issue is not that POV-Ray does not want to
>> install in program files, but as discussed numerous times before, is not
>> allowed to install there by Vista itself unless *you*, the user, allow it to
>> do so.
>
>    What do other programs do? I don't remember seeing the same complaint in
> relation to other programs (ie. that the program installs itself into the
> My Documents folder by default).

It depends. Some installers just don't work. What does work though,
amazingly, is that if one uses an older Visual Studio (2003) to build a M$
Installer is that it magically works without too many problems. The same is
not true if using VS 2008 to build the same installer (out of a converted
project file).

>> Please read the old messages in this group. The problems Vista creates for
>> non-administrator installs have been discussed numerous times before. There
>> is really no need to start over discussing the benefits and drawbacks of
>> Vista rights management! They are for M$ to fix, and nothing POV-Ray can do
>> anything about.
>
>    There is something POV-Ray can do: Ask the user what to do. ("Because of
> <reason xyz>  POV-Ray will be installed in<the My Documents folder>.
> Yes/No/Cancel.")

No, because POV-Ray is not the Windows installer!

	Thorsten