POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:52:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Warp
Date: 23 Jan 2010 13:19:03
Message: <4b5b3d96@news.povray.org>
> You realize that under Vista the issue is not that POV-Ray does not want to
> install in program files, but as discussed numerous times before, is not
> allowed to install there by Vista itself unless *you*, the user, allow it to
> do so.

  What do other programs do? I don't remember seeing the same complaint in
relation to other programs (ie. that the program installs itself into the
My Documents folder by default).

> Please read the old messages in this group. The problems Vista creates for
> non-administrator installs have been discussed numerous times before. There
> is really no need to start over discussing the benefits and drawbacks of
> Vista rights management! They are for M$ to fix, and nothing POV-Ray can do
> anything about.

  There is something POV-Ray can do: Ask the user what to do. ("Because of
<reason xyz> POV-Ray will be installed in <the My Documents folder>.
Yes/No/Cancel.")

--
                                                          - Warp