POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Jim Charter
Date: 23 Jan 2010 09:52:46
Message: <4b5b0d3e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Captain Jack <Cap### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>> In acting classes that I have attended as well as taught, we talk about "two
>> dimensional characters", "cardboard cutouts", and "characters with no
>> depth", all referring to the same thing.
>
>   Btw, was the original expression "two-dimensional character" (meaning a
> character with no depth), after which some people started using an
> exaggerated version of the expression, "one-dimensional character" in
> their desire to say "a really, really flat character", and after years
> of using that, it has basically replaced the original expression and thus
> everybody nowadays says "one-dimensional character" when they really mean
> what "two-dimensional character" meant originally?

That is probably it, yeah.  Though extending the metaphor in that way
does yield some useful ideas.

That the character lacks all dimensionality except as a single thrust,
or file.  Hints at the
possibility of a no-dimensional character, a single point, useful as a
reference, a position, and that is all.