POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Jan 2010 09:08:18
Message: <4b5b02d2@news.povray.org>
On 23.01.10 14:51, Rocco wrote:
> I hope the POVRay team will create a standard installation process to eliminate
> multi-user or privilege related problems.
>
> In my opinion, the installation should be :
>
> - Programs (pvengine.exe, manuals...) and non-editable files =>  Program files
> - Shared files (includes, objects...) =>  Accessible for all users
> - Personal files (personal configuration for example) =>  Current user
>
> The directories should be configurable in a main configuration file.
>
> Applications and data should be separated, Windows provides this.

You realize that under Vista the issue is not that POV-Ray does not want to
install in program files, but as discussed numerous times before, is not
allowed to install there by Vista itself unless *you*, the user, allow it to
do so. If you prohibit POV-Ray to access the program files folder, you can
hardly be surprised that it does not install where you prohibited it from
installing at in the first place!

Please read the old messages in this group. The problems Vista creates for
non-administrator installs have been discussed numerous times before. There
is really no need to start over discussing the benefits and drawbacks of
Vista rights management! They are for M$ to fix, and nothing POV-Ray can do
anything about.

	Thorsten