POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 22 Jan 2010 15:27:03
Message: <4b5a0a17$1@news.povray.org>
>I think that the install should ask you where you want the pov ray files
> to be installed to.
> Personally I would prefer the files to be in program files instead of my
> documents.
>
> Is it possible at the moment to move the files somewhere else out of my
> documents?
> If I move the folder, povray complains about it and I can't find any
> options, so is there a way to point povray to the new location?

In Vista...
open a cmd prompt as administrator
(windows key, type cmd in search box, cntrl-shift-enter)
run the pov installer from the command line
select install for all users... that should let you select the
location for the program files.

This install process is sort of clumsy, if you do a single
user install with administrator privledges then POV will
end up in program files, but if it doesn't have privledges
it'll end up in a hidden roaming profile because of UAC.
Either way, the editable portion of the files ends up in
documents.