POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jan 2010 12:28:03
Message: <4b59e023$1@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack wrote:
> I've always been a big fan of the "seven basic plots" idea. I note, for the
> record, that this is neither an absolute nor an accepted theory in all
> circles, but I think the concept has merit.

You should note that the original formulation was that there were only seven
basic plots that work well in a theater play.

Movies? Books? Lots more than seven. Stories you can tell with live actors
on a stage? OK, maybe 7 counts, if you lump all of comedy as one plot and
all of tragedy as another.

To some extent, there's only so much you can do in a movie, too, as movies
are very expensive to make and you still can't learn stuff except by seeing
it happen. Altho "flashbacks" and voice-over narration can help, you still
can't get as much of that in as you can in a novel.

> There is some amazingly odd and hard to validate science going on in this
> movie.

It wasn't really a science fiction movie, unlike Armaggedon was. Hence,
since the science wasn't really driving the movie per se, the fact that the
science was bogus didn't hurt the story.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do