POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting interview questions : Re: Interesting interview questions Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting interview questions
From: Captain Jack
Date: 22 Jan 2010 09:41:55
Message: <4b59b933$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b597f2b$1@news.povray.org...

> Somebody suggested that by burning data onto a CD-ROM and getting students
> to cycle to the other side of Cambridge with the CDs in backpacks, you
> could achieve several GB/s mean transfer rate. Of course, the packet
> latency would be about 25 minutes each way…

I remember reading about a company that had to send engineering drawings and
data between shops just at the dawn of modem technology. They investigated
micro-ficheing the data and use carrier pigeons to transfer it, because of
the volume of data. I don't know if it's true, but I've always loved that
story.

--
Jac