POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Captain Jack
Date: 22 Jan 2010 09:37:15
Message: <4b59b81b$1@news.povray.org>
"Neeum Zawan" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message
> On 01/13/10 22:11, Darren New wrote:
>> Pretty but cliche.
>
> Agreed. Not an ounce of originality in the story.

I've always been a big fan of the "seven basic plots" idea. I note, for the
record, that this is neither an absolute nor an accepted theory in all
circles, but I think the concept has merit.

Also, a film is not just a story, although I think a compelling story is
important. This one has the classic
"boy-meets-girl-boy-loses-girl-boy-does-something-heroic-boy-gets-girl",
which is one of my favorites. But, to each his own.

A film is, or should be, a kind of art that is a balancing act. Art is a
communication method; it communicates emotions the way that words
communicate ideas. The balancing act comes in unifying the emotional message
from the hundreds (in this case, close to 3,000 according to the best
estimates I could find) people.

To me, a compelling story is not just one that's interesting, it makes me
wonder, "what happens next?" My favorite novels always leave me wanting to
know more about the lives of the characters. That certainly happened for me
with this film.

As an aside, I must say that I'm enjoying the fact that, in a space occupied
by so many technical people as in this group, that so much of the discussion
of this film has been focused on the story and the visual look of the film.
There is some amazingly odd and hard to validate science going on in this
movie. Most of the time, when that happens in a movie (Armaggedon, anyone?)
I find the film unwatchable. I was so caught up in Avatar that it didn't
even register with me until later, and even then, I shrugged it off with a
"who cares, it was great" attitude. :-)

--
Jack