POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting interview questions : Re: Interesting interview questions Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting interview questions
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jan 2010 00:57:31
Message: <4b593e4b$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:21:37 -0800, Neeum Zawan wrote:

> On 01/20/10 09:32, Captain Jack wrote:
>> I've got a quiz I made that I run candidates (for programming jobs)
>> through now, and the first one I put on there is "How does an e-mail
>> system work? What happend from the time one person hits 'Send' and the
>> other person sees a message in the In-Box?" I get the most amazing
>> amount of hemming and hawing over that one.
>
> 	I hope someone mentioned something about a series of tubes...

LOL

As it happens, there was a problem with my last paycheck's direct deposit
(we changed providers, and my bank had been bought, so the routing number
changed, but the old DD provider didn't seem to mind; the new one,
however, did), so I had to go to the office to pick up an actual paper
paycheck to take to the bank.

We hit the drive-through to make the deposit.  And we saw one of the
actual "tubes" used in the early Internet!  No kidding!  It uses a vacuum
to suck a packet that's got a payload in it into the bank.  I was really
surprised at how primitive the checksum system was (well, OK, there
wasn't one, but a voice spoke through a magic box and confirmed delivery
of the packet).

But man was it slow compared to the modern Internet.  But it was quite
nostalgic. :-)

Jim