POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting interview questions : Re: Interesting interview questions Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting interview questions
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Jan 2010 21:33:51
Message: <4b57bd0f$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:00:45 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That makes more sense - but fairly easy to answer algebraically.
>
> That's why I think the original poster meant to ask the later questions,
> which are somewhat trickier.

Likely, yes.

>>> No, that would eliminate the ability to answer.
>>
>> How so?  If you know the distances and speeds,
>
> Oh, you're discarding the length of the track, but you still know the
> distances?

Wait, what?  No, I was saying that the length of the track is a critical
missing piece of information in the original question (the question
specifically states the length doesn't matter - but I believe it does).

> I don't understand, but ... nevermind. :-)

Are we having one of our "we're both saying the same thing" moments
again? ;-)

>>> You want to average 60MPH over two minutes. You go 30MPH for the first
>>> mile. How fast do you have to go to average 60MPH for two minues?
>>>
>>> Second alternate question: you want to average 60 MPH. You drive 10
>>> miles at 30MPH. How many miles do you need to drive at 90MPH to
>>> average 60MPH?
>>
>> I agree, that question formulation would be easier to answer.
>
> Well, except for the first one. And the second one is unobvious, easy to
> fall into a trap.

True.

Jim