POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How Common Lisp developers see users of other languages : Re: How Common Lisp developers see users of other languages Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How Common Lisp developers see users of other languages
From: Captain Jack
Date: 20 Jan 2010 13:55:34
Message: <4b5751a6$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b5748bb$1@news.povray.org...
> Captain Jack wrote:
>> (Coursewriter, anyone? No?
>
> Yes!  Actually, I got hired over the summer one year to try to duplicate
> the functionality of an early version of that.

That was actually my first programming experience, in high school. We had a
terminal in our school (as did four other schools) hooked to an IBM
something or other at the school admin office downtown. If you had your math
homework done in time, you could get on the computer and run a program (the
Baccarat game was popular). I was the sort of geek who always worked ahead,
so I got on the computer a lot. One day, I complained that the game was
"stupid" and "broke" (I was also a very obnoxious kid; I'm sure I've
outgrown that...). The teacher went to the filing cabinet, dropped the
Coursewriter manuals onto the desk in front of me, and said, "So... fix it."
That was in about 1976, and I don't think I've gone a day without coding
something or other since. :-D

--
Jack