POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Captain Jack
Date: 20 Jan 2010 10:30:37
Message: <4b57219d$1@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote in message news:4b56be24@news.povray.org...

> It's surprising how easily you can get this effect by just blurring a
> couple of areas in photoshop by hand.

I did that a few years ago for an image I did... the rendering software I
was using didn't support depth of field, so after rendering the image, I
made a series of increasingly larger and feathered masks around the main
subject, inverted each one, and applied a succession of small (but
cumulative) Gaussian blurs to the image. I'm sure it didn't look anything
like a real macro lens or what 3D DOF could be with a better program, but it
was a nice effect.

I saw a great process for doing this with After Effects, too. If you render
a depth map (a B&W image of the scene where surfaces further from the camera
are darker and ones closer are lighter), there's a way to attach the depth
map to the DOF filter in AE, and have DOF without the tremendous rendering
overhead it usually seems to take.

--
Jack