POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Statistics question : Re: Statistics question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Statistics question
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jan 2010 04:06:38
Message: <4b56c79e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Obviously the results from your RNG are not going to *exactly* match the
> formulas above, so how do you plan to figure out how far away is
> acceptable?

It depends on the sample size. The more random numbers you generate, the
closer the computed values should match the expected values, although
still not exactly.

So far, the generator produces histogram and modulus results that differ
from the expected values by about 0.1% of the sample size, which seems
fairly reasonable to me.

Of course, it should *also* be possible to statistically compute the
probability of a difference from the expected value of a given size.
(E.g., isn't the sample mean supposed to be normally distributed around
the true mean or something?) But I don't know how to do that yet. So
far, all I've done is compute numbers and observe that they seem to get
closer to the expected values when I increase the sample size.